The ProForm 290 SPX is amongst the highest quality and affordable priced fitness bikes, with a nice and professional design, and if you are looking for a serious solution for indoor cycling training this is probably the best buy you can find. The manufacturer of this incredible piece is Icon Fitness, that is also the manufacturer of more expensive brands such as Nordick Track: this is important to mention as the latter is a bit more expensive but does not give much more for the difference in price.
The ProForm 290 SPX has a capacity of 250 pounds with a warranty of 5 years on the frame and 90 days on the parts, the same as the more expensive Nordic Track while the dimensions are 48.6 by 19.9 by 46.5 inches (L x W x H).
The main features of this fitness bike are:
- Horizontally and vertically adjustable seat in order to find the best fit
- Pedals with Toe cage in order to increase stability and get the best results on muscles, and can be used on the opposite side up as well
- Chain drive system
- Non-slip handlebars that are adjustable in order to give the best comfort and reduce fatigue
- Transport wheels to easy move the bike from one place to another
- Water bottle holder helps you stay hidrated
Assembly - Very simple as you get just a couple of parts to attach such as handlebars, seat, bottom braces and paddles. Enough screws and tools are supplied. Very easy in comparison to other fitness bikes, especially computerized magnetic type. The assembly of the ProForm 290 SPX should not take more than 15-30 minutes.
- Handlebars and seat can be smoothly adjusted allowing both small and tall to get a good fit on the bike
- Very stable, but smooth and quiet during the workout (you just hear yourself pedaling)
- Very smooth transition with the resistance lever being very sensitive
- The heavy flywheel allows pretty good inertia
- Performs almost like an elliptical when standing on pedals, and you are able put all your weight on the pedals
- The small front wheels allow to move the bike around the house
- There is some amount of chain slop that can cause noisy drive-train as it slaps against the chainguard
- The water bottle holder is in plastic, but it’s easily replaceable with a professional, metal one (more options on Amazon)
- Slightly uncomfortable seat when the fitness bike is aggressively used, but it’s easily replaceable with a professional one.
- The handlebar post has a some amount of side play which can be a bit disturbing in case of aggressive workout.
- No fitness bikes computer
Amazon: 3.8 out of 5 stars
ProForm: 4.4. out of 5 stars
Walmart: 4.3 out of 5 stars
The ProForm 290 SPX is a good quality exercise bike at a reasonable price: it is probably the best buy cycle trainer in the segment up to 300$ on the market at the moment. The bike has of course some drawbacks when compared with more expensive cycle trainer but for most people, who are looking for a solid home fitness bikes in order to avoid gym and spinning classes (and of course spare some time), as well as for those that are going to use it for their recreation and cardio-training, I would for sure recommend it.
On the other hand, for those who are looking for fitness bikes to be used for more aggressive spinning session and have the possibility to spend +800$, I would recommend something more professional (more on that in some other review).
In any case, the ProForm 290 SPX is currently on sale on Amazon and you can check the price here.